9 / 4
Infantry Division
Historical Society
general malony Major General
Harry J. Malony
Commanding General 
94th Infantry Division
9/15/1942 - 5/21/1945
TAPS 2013bugler
Click here to Post a notice on this page
Taps 2013 Taps 2014 Taps 2015 Taps 2016 Taps 2017 Taps 2018 Taps 2019 Current Taps

Alvin Claude Wood E/376 1920-2013

Alvin C. Wood of “Creekside at Shallowford “in Chattanooga, TN passed away on December 9, 2013.  A former resident of Knoxville TN. Mr. Wood was born July 20, 1920 in Whittier NC. 

 He is preceded in death by his wife of 45 years Ruby McDonald Wood and a daughter April Robin Smith, his parents Fred and Myrtle Wood, sister Alice Paris and  brothers, Arthur, Amos, and Alfred Wood. 

Mr. Wood is survived by daughters, Nell Wood Brinkley (George) of Chattanooga and Rita Griffin (Ronnie) of Knoxville, three grandchildren, Carmen Guinn, Rebecca A. Brinkley and Ryan Kidd.  He is also survived by five great grandchildren, Sister Alma Leonard and brothers Andy and Avery Wood, and a host of friends at his beloved “Creekside”.

A 30 year retired employee of Y-12 in Oak Ridge TN, Wood was a combat veteran of WWII serving with distinction in the “Fighting” 94 Infantry throughout France and Germany. 

Alvin was a lifelong committed Christian and acted as church clerk at Greenway Church of God for more than 25 years and later as a member of the usher committee at Dutch Valley Church of God where he maintained his membership until his death.
Graveside services will be conducted December 10, 2013 at 1:00PM in Greenwood Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers the family would suggest a memorial donation to “Church of God World Missions” 2490 Keith Street, Cleveland TN 37311.

Anthony Francis Patrick Wood H/302

anthony woodAnthony Francis Patrick Wood, 92, formerly of Lost Creek, PA. passed away
Wednesday, November 6th, 2013 in Miami, FL. "Hank" or Francis, as he was known to friends and family, was born on August 28, 1921, to Thomas C. Wood and Helen E. Dean. He was raised in Lost Creek along with 7 brothers and sisters; Thomas, Mary, Alice, Jack, Patrick, Marguerite, and Dean.

Anthony served in WW II, Pvt. 1st class, November 1942-1945 in the 94th Army Infantry Division, 302nd, Co. H, under Major General Malony, in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, during the winter of the Battle of the Bulge, through Germany. He was wounded twice and received the Purple Heart and two Oak Leaf Clusters.

After the war he apprenticed, became a journeyman, then a master plumber in Philadelphia, working for the plumbing concerns of Magee, Stillwell. He was later employed by the Philadelphia National Bank on 4th and Market, retiring in 1986. After retiring the family moved to Brandonville, PA.

He married Anna Marie Ey of Girardville, PA, in 1952, at St. Joseph's Church in Girardville. They raised their family in Philadelphia and belonged to Holy Child parish. Anna Marie passed away in 1997 and Francis, their son, in 2007. Anthony continued to reside in Brandonville until moving to Florida in 2008, with his daughter Mary Kay. He is survived by his daughter Mary Kathleen Wood, and his sisters, Alice Mcdonald of Annandale, VA, Marguerite Rooney of Lost Creek, PA, and his brother, Dean Wood of Bridgewater, NJ. He was well liked and appreciated by many, loved a good prank, long drives in his car, picnics on Sunday at Washington's Crossing State Park, road trips, cigars, big band music and dancing. He is remembered, loved, and will be dearly missed.

Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at St.Vincent dePaul Parish, Girardville,PA, at 11:00 AM on Saturday, December 7th, with Rev. Edward Connolly officiating. Interment in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Ft. Springs,PA .

Visitation Saturday Dec.7, 2013 10:00-11:00 AM in St. Vincent dePaul Parish, Girardville,PA
Kull-Heizenroth Funeral Home, Ashland is in charge of arrangements .

Russell Bryant
September 19, 1919 – Octobeer 8, 2013

russell bryant

Russell Bryant was born September 19, 1919, in Illinois. He graduated from Ashland High School in 1937. He later moved to Fullerton, California, to work for Douglas Aircraft helping build bombers for bryantsWorld War II. He served in the 94th Infantry Division as part of the Third Army, and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He was wounded in combat in Germany and received the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star for individual valor. His contributions to the war are commemorated in two memorial bricks, one in his home state of Illinois and one in the National World War II Museum. After the war, he returned to Fullerton, California, where he met and married Juanita Roberson. They were blessed with 65 years of loving marriage. They have two children, Sally Bryant and Steve Bryant. Russ earned a Master's degree in Speech Communications from Long Beach State University.

Russ overcame a severe stutter to become a community college speech instructor. He was recruited by Cabrillo College in Aptos, California, to start their speech and communication program. He taught at Cabrillo College from 1964 to 1987. Many returning veterans found encouragement from his wisdom, counsel and experience. He also served as the faculty advisor to the Christian Student Club. Russ was active at Twin Lakes Church in leadership, education and youth ministry. Russ and Nita moved to Grass Valley, California, in 1988 where he was involved in his church and faithfully attended cardiac rehab at Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital. Russ loved to attend his army division reunions and was often sought out by those drawn by his wisdom, incredible memory, and generosity of spirit.

Russ died peacefully at home on October 8, 2013, surrounded by his loving family. We know that his last breath here was his first breath in heaven. A memorial service will be held at Saratoga Federated Church in Saratoga, California, on October 27th at 3pm. Russ will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery on November 26, 2013.

His family has set up a memorial scholarship at Cabrillo College to honor the many lives he touched. To donate to his scholarship, contact the Cabrillo College Foundation at 831-479-6338, or mail a check payable to the Cabrillo College Foundation with a note directing the gift to the Russell Bryant Memorial Endowed Scholarship, or donate online at www.cabrillo.edu/associations/foundation/how-give-online.php and enter Russell Bryant Memorial Endowed Scholarship in the notes section.
Russell Bryant Funeral
Russ is predeceased by his mother, Ruth Newton Bryant, his sisters Mildred Bryant Weakley and Betty Bryant Brown and brother Ralph Bryant. He is survived by his loving wife Juanita Bryant, children Sally and Steve Bryant, daughter-in-law Juliann Bryant and grandchildren Rebekah and Nathan Bryant, sister Maxine Bryant Evans and her husband Harold, brother Bob Bryant and his wife Joyce, nieces, nephews, cousins and so many friends. By his incredible spirit and wisdom, Russ touched the lives of thousands of people through his years of teaching college, church ministry, army reunions, and friendships.

Funeral services of PFC Russell Bryant, held Tuesday Nov 23, 2013 at 1400 hours at Arlington National Cemetery. Pictured in the frame from left: Juanita Bryant (Russ' widow); Rev. Sally Bryant (Russ' daughter); Joani Graves; and John Clyburn. I think it would be a great photo to post in honor of Russ.

The 94th Historical Society was well represented, joining John and Joani were: Harry Helms, Marilee Johnson (Roger "Landslide" Guernsey's daughter), and three generations of the Burdge Family.

George A. Burdge, III
205 Ely Harmony Road
Freehold, NJ 07728

Nicholas Oresko of Cresskill, World War II hero, dies at 96

nicholas oreskoNicholas Oresko of Cresskill, the nation's oldest Medal of Honor recipient, died Friday evening, having been watched over all week by veterans and military personnel who'd heard he was in a hospital with a broken leg.

Oresko, 96, was a U.S. Army master sergeant during World War II, when, although badly wounded, he wiped out two enemy bunkers near Tettingen, Germany, during the Battle of the Bulge.

He died at 6:30 p.m. at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center of complications from surgery for a broken right femur, said lawyer John "Jack" Carbone, a family friend. It was the same leg injured on Jan. 23, 1945, as he crawled from one enemy bunker to another.

Oresko had no living immediate family, but he was never alone at the hospital after being taken there earlier in the week from a Cresskill assisted living facility, Carbone said. Veterans and young members of the military were at his side, with more than two dozen at the hospital Friday afternoon before he was taken to have surgery.

"The kids held his hand; they prayed with him," said Carbone, of North Haledon.

On Friday night, Bergen County Police led a hearse taking Oresko's body to the Vander Plaat Funeral Home in Wyckoff in a procession that included Englewood fire­trucks. Funeral arrangements were pending. Carbone said Oresko will be buried with military honors at George Washington Memorial Park in Paramus toward the end of next week.

One of Oresko's friends, Richard E. Robitaille, had sent emails about his status this week to students at Berkeley College in Woodland Park, where he is the vice president of military veterans affairs. Robitaille said the students posted the information on Facebook and other sites, leading to an outpouring of affection from people across the country.

"They understood the type of person we were talking about and said, ‘We can't let him die alone,' Robitaille said, adding that people came from as far away as Maine and Maryland to visit Oresko. "He's loved throughout the Army. He's an American hero."

Robitaille said Oresko continually thanked visitors. An Army unit in Afghanistan had waved a flag in Oresko's honor Tuesday and mailed it to the hospital, he said, but it had not yet arrived.

Friday night, Oresko's longtime friend and companion, Genevieve Doocey, cried when told of his death by Bob Jerome of Park Ridge, a friend of Oresko's and representative of the Medal of Honor Foundation.

Oresko lived for years in Tenafly. He had grown up in Bayonne, where the city's high school has been named for him. His son, Robert, died in 2010 at age 63, and his wife, Jean, died in 1980.

He related his battle experiences to The Record in January 2012.

In the early morning of Jan. 23, 1945, the 28-year-old set off to assault a machine-gun bunker.

"We [had] attacked their positions several times, and we got beaten back," he said. "It's terrible. It scares the hell out of you.

"So we figured this time, let's sneak up on them. Instead of getting prepared with artillery fire, let's just go as it gets dark and sneak up on them and then attack 'em."

Oresko started out at 4:30 a.m. — alone and resigned to fate. "I looked up to heaven and said, ‘Lord, I know I'm going to die, please make it fast,' he said.

He tossed a grenade into the bunker and then rushed it with his M-1 rifle. Another machine gun opened fire and knocked him down, wounding him in the right hip and leg, yet he managed to crawl to another bunker and take it out with another grenade.

"The machine gunner who shot me thought I was dead," Oresko said. "I was able to move around, sneak around, so they didn't see me. They saw me go down. They thought they'd killed me, but they didn't. I slipped around and somehow got around, and they were in a bunch."

Oresko killed 12 German soldiers, then refused to leave the area — "They wanted to take me back to the hospital," he said. "I said ‘No, let's take the position first.' I didn't want to give it up after doing so much."

President Harry S. Truman presented the Medal of Honor to Oresko during a White House ceremony on Oct. 30, 1945.

Earl Carpenter - 96
May 27, 1917 - Sep 1, 2013

Earl CarpenterMuncie - EARL CARPENTER

Highly Decorated WWII Veteran

Muncie – Earl Carpenter, who was 96 years old and a highly decorated veteran of WWII passed away Sunday, September 1, 2103, at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis after suffering a severe stroke of August 11, 2013. Among the many honors Mr. Carpenter received were the Chevalier de la Legion D'Honneur (the French Legion Medal of Honor), the Bronze Star, Four Battle Theatre Stars, and the Czechoslovakian Freedom Medal.

He was born on May 27, 1917 in Farmers, KY the son of Turner and Myrtle (Padgett) Carpenter and moved to Muncie eighty-three years ago at age thirteen. Mr. Carpenter married the love of his life, Kathryn Pauline Dance on September 4, 1941, who preceded him in death on March 7, 2011.

Mr. Carpenter enlisted in the Army on December 5, 1942 and shipped out to England with the 94th Infantry Division on the Queen Elizabeth II in 1944. His first child, a son, Rodney Earl Carpenter, was born on January 4, 1945 while he was fighting in The Battle of The Bulge, the major German offensive campaign launched through the densely forested Ardennes region of Wallonia in Belgium, France, and Luxembourg (December 16, 1944 – January 25, 1945).

Mr. Carpenter worked as a millwright for Owens Illinois in Muncie both before and after WWII for thirty-six years and then as a millwright for Chrysler Corporation in New Castle for fourteen years prior to retiring in 1985. Earl loved to play his harmonica for everyone, especially when Kathryn would accompany him on the Piano. Earl had excellent health up to the time of his stroke and was very active. He enjoyed working in his yard, wood carving, going out to dinner with friends, and many family activities. Earl was a member of the Lions Club, UAW, Liar's Carving Club, and Glad Tidings Assembly of God, and had just recently returned from attending the 94th Infantry Division Reunion in New Orleans, LA this past June.

In addition to his wife, Kathryn and his parents, Turner and Myrtle, he was preceded in death by his four brothers, Ivan, Clyde, Eugene, and Don Carpenter; and two of his three sisters, Margie Carpenter and Elizabeth Carpenter Sayers.

Surviving are his son, Rodney E. Carpenter (Mary Lou Hall), Muncie; his daughter, Jennifer C. Farris (Jeffrey C.), Indianapolis; five grandchildren, Timothy Jordan, Southport, Camila Carpenter Jacobi, Fishers, Amanda Carpenter Spagnoli, Playa Vista, CA, Jordon C. Faris, Indianapolis, and Jessica C. Faris, Brisbane, Australia; five great-grandchildren, Lilly Dycus, Mt. Vernon, IL, Gia Jacobi, Indianapolis, Chloe Spagnoli, Playa Vista, CA, Luke and Hadley Jordan, Southport; step-great-granddaughter, Megan Tomlinson, Noblesville; his sister, Vera Brown, Muncie; two sisters-in-law, Beatrice Dance Maurer (Robert), Terre Haute and Earlene Carpenter (Eugene), Muncie; a brother-in-law, Gene Dance, Mishawaka; and several nieces and nephews.

Services will be held at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 7, 2013, in The Meeks Mortuary and Crematory, Washington Street Chapel with Pastor Kevin Holt officiating. Burial will follow in Gardens of Memory Cemetery, north of Muncie, with Military Rites by Veterans of Delaware County.

From: Donna Swartz <donnam@insight.rr.com>
Subject: Paul J. "Paulie" Andres, 91, of Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013

Paul AndresPaul J. "Paulie" Andres, 91, of Floyds Knobs, Indiana, passed away on Tuesday, May 7, 2013. Paul served proudly in the 94th Division of the United States Army during World War II. A lifelong member of St. Mary of the Knobs Catholic Church, he also loved working in the fields, taking pictures of family and friends, sharing stories and playing Euchre.  After a life spent on hard work and tireless dedication to providing for his family, Paul found lasting contentment and peace in his devotion to family, the land and his faith. He loved to tell stories and jokes, and was known for his wonderful smile.

Paul was born on June 24, 1921. He was preceded in death by his loving wife Helen T. (Engle), son Stephen and his seven sisters and brothers.

He is survived by eight of his nine children, and was proud to be a grandpa to 19 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren. Paul also leaves behind beloved brothers/sisters-in-law, nieces and nephews, and dear friends.

Paulie AndresPaul entered the Army in August of 1944. He received his training in Heavy Weapons at Camp Blanding in Florida and on January 7, 1945, left New York City on the Queen Elizabeth. He landed in Greenock, Scotland, and was assigned to Camp Philip Morris in La Havre, France. From there, he fought in Germany and throughout the European theater until the end of the war. He became a chaplain's assistant to Fr. John Loftus, and returned home on the Gustavus Victory on June 24, 1946, his 25th birthday.

In November of that year, he married the love of his life, Helen. Together they raised nine children in Paul's hometown of Floyds Knobs, Indiana. He farmed part of their property and worked for 36 years at Hoosier Panel, a major supplier of plywood and wood veneer. One of his proudest moments was visiting the construction site of the World War II Memorial in Washington D.C. He was quiet for many years about his service, but in later years spoke often of his experiences. He is sadly missed by all who knew and loved him.

USA (Ret.)

singerDied at home in Fort Belvoir, VA on June 4, 2013. He was born in Chicago, IL on September 15, 1925 to Erwin Philip Singer and Helen Breen Singer. He graduated from West Point in June 1950 having served prior to that in World War II with the 94th Infantry Division company I with the 376st Infantry Regiment and retired from the US Army in 1979.

He received his Masters degree in Operational Analysis from University of Maryland. He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Margaret Maginnis Singer; as well as four children, Raymond P. Singer, Jr. (Vicki) of Lawton, OK, Richard F. Singer of Arlington, VA, Ann Singer Van Haaren (Cary) of San Diego, CA and Elizabeth Singer McQueston (John) of Portland, OR; seven grandchildren, Aaron, Damian, Jack, Kate, Finn, Maggie and Ellie and two great-grandchildren, Liam and Nora. Also surviving is his sister, Nancy Singer Hoca of Maisons-Laffitte, France. He was predeceased by his son Thomas C. Singer and brothers John Singer and Paul Singer. Visitation will be held on Friday, June 7 from 4 to 6 p.m. at Demaine Funeral Home, 520 S Washington St., Alexandria, VA.

Services will be conducted at Arlington National Cemetery at a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Evercare Hospice & Palliative Care of Reston, VA.

Subject: Passing of Ottis 'Pete' Branham
From: Lisa Abke <labke72@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013

A couple of weeks ago, a request was received by LTC Ron Jack and Mrs. Mary Ann Jack to pay homage to a former POW WWII vet on April 27 2013. A East Texas man that had lived his 87 years being a husband, a father, a grandfather, and a farmer was a hero to his family. Very few people knew what would soon be local, hometown news of a hero lost in the system. He had been a Prisoner of War during 1945 and an Automatic Rifleman with the 301st Infantry, 94th Division, 1st Battalion, part of General Patton's Third Army, his life would be forever changed by what would happen next.

On January 20, 1945, during an offensive operation which was part of what was later part of what was later called the Battle of the Bulge, Corporal Branham's battalion launched an attack against Orscholz, eastern terminus of the Siegfried Switch-Line, Germany. After several hours of intense fighting, in freezing conditions, against a heavily dug in and fortified enemy, his unit had been quickly reduced from what started at hundreds to merely a handful. What was left of the company soon found themselves completely surrounded, with no means of escape. Out of ammunition, out of supplies and greatly outnumbered, he fell into the hands of the enemy.

Corporal Branham was held captive as a Prisoner Of War (POW) from January 1945 to April 1945 at Stalags 7 and 12A, where he endured what by many would consider a nightmare of an existence. Four months later, and 100 pounds lighter, he and the other survivors were liberated by Gen Patton's third Army and the aide of the British Coalition who liberated the camp.

A quiet and humble man, Ottis "Pete" Branham never talked much about those days. He had a limp, from losing part of both feet that had become frozen when ordered to march from one camp to the other, over several miles, during one of the coldest winters in Germany. No one around New Salem, Texas ever really asked why, they loved and respected the man that was once a soldier, who was now their Police Chief. Years passed and records once carefully watched over and archived by the United States Army of soldiers that got out of the Army prior to 1951 were lost in the fire in St. Louis, MO in 1973. Pete continued on with life in his small town running his farm and being a public servant with the local police department. In 1988 President Reagan authorized the POW medal for all Prisoners of War. Maybe Pete didn't want the hassle of applying. Maybe he just wanted to leave that part of his life in the past. He never said why he did not apply all those years ago. He just didn't. He knew what he did. He was just happy to be alive and to have come home.

The year is now 2013. Pete is much older, and talks more about his military career to his family now. His grandson, also a former soldier, urges him to apply for the medal. He does. As fate would have it, he also receives word that his ailments and illnesses have taken their toll and he does not have much time left. The Department of Defense says he qualifies for the medal, but it will take 6-8 months to process. A long time for a hero with little time left in his life. His grandson, Brandon Scott Branham, who runs a small farm not far from Fort Hood, and a family friend, contacted LTC Jack and asked if it would be possible to present his grandfather with the POW medal before passing away. After looking into it, it was determined that he could be presented the medal with the documentation provided by his family. So, on April 27, 2013, LTC Ron Jack and his wife Mary Ann made the drive up to East Texas to give a quiet, yet proud man, the recognition as a hero and a survivor he had waited 68 years and 11 days to receive by presenting him the long overdue POW medal and the salute he deserved on behalf of the US Army, III Corps and the 13th ESC.

On May 9, 2013, that same man said a final goodbye to his family and left this world. He left it physically, but left his mark in so many ways. He gave to everyone who met him a gentle smile that made them feel better. He gave to his family a husband, father, grandfather and hero they all looked up to. He gave us all a renewed faith that heroes never die. They live on in legend, memories and the hearts of those he touched. The funeral is set for Saturday 2pm at Crawford Funeral Home in Henderson Texas. If you wish to send flowers or flowers, contributions may be made to Angel Care Hospice, 103 1/2 St. Hwy 64W, Henderson, TX 75652. Condolences may be made online at www.crawfordacrim.com.

a resident of Albuquerque, NM, passed away on Saturday, April 27th at 9:00 P.M.

Larry SitneyMr. Sitney was born in Schenectady, NY on October 8, 1923 to Henry and sitlneyEsther Sitney. Mr. Sitney enlisted with the United States Army in 1941 and served in Europe during WW II.

Mr. Sitney graduated from Ohio State University with a doctorate in Chemistry, and worked at Los Alamos National Labs and for the Aerospace Corporation. Mr. Sitney was married to Mary Alice Elkin of Albuquerque, NM on November 9, 1956. Mr. Sitney, husband to the late Mary Alice Sitney of fifty five years, is survived by daughter, Karen C. Sitney of Weston, CT; son, Lawrence L. Sitney of Burke, VA; and four grandchildren.

Cremation services were provided by the Riverside Funeral Home of Albuquerque, 764-9663. Placement of the urn will take place at Santa Fe National Cemetery.

No memorial services are planned at this time. In lieu of flowers, the family respectfully asks that donations be sent to the Wounded Warrior Project at: (www.woundedwarriorproject.org).

Arnold Eugene Wise
June 23, 1925 - April 1, 2013

gene wiseWise, Arnold Eugene (Gene) was born June 23, 1925 in Atlanta, GA to Arnold A. and Pellie Doyal Wise.

He was preceded in death by his parents, a sister, Ernestine, and his wife, June Glenn Wise. Gene was the oldest of eight children and is survived by three brothers, Robert Wise (Brenda), Floyd Wise (Audrey) and Calvin Wise; and three sisters, Wyolene Richardson, Meriam Wood (Don) and Mary Hellen Burdett.

Gene started working as a civilian records clerk at Fort McPherson while still in high school. He enlisted in the army on July 15th, 1943. He served as an infantryman in Company L of the 376 Regiment of the 94th Infantry Division. The "Fighting 94th" landed at Utah beach on D plus 94 (September 8, 1944) and fought their way to the Rhine. Gene was awarded multiple "Purple Hearts" and a Bronze Star for his time in combat. medals








After separation from the army, Gene returned to Atlanta and entered Georgia Tech in Industrial Engineering – graduating 30 months later in the class of 1949.

Gene worked in the building products industry and as a general contractor before becoming a commercial real estate broker in the 1980's.

Gene WiseOutside of work, Gene was an active member of the DeKalb Republican Party and involved in many forms of community affairs. He was a long-time contributor and staff member of the Smoke Rise Community newspaper – The Smoke Signal. He was a member of the Wesley Fellowship Sunday School class of the Tucker United Methodist Church for more than 40 years.

Gene was heavily involved in the 94th Infantry veterans association and helped lead the effort to create the 94th Infantry Historical Society for offspring of the WW2 veterans who wish to carry on the memory of 94th.

Gene will be remembered as a loving son, brother, husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather. He is survived by son, William J. Wise (Jeanne) and daughter, Anne W. Fuller (Doug); grandchildren, Jonathan Wise (Jen), Stephan Wise (Courtney) and Robert Fuller; and great-grandchildren, Ellington Wise, Brecken Wise, Caroline Wise and Genevieve Wise.

A memorial service will be held Saturday, April 13th at 2 pm at the Tucker Methodist Church. A visitation with the immediate family is scheduled at Floral Hills funeral home in Tucker on Friday April 12th from 6 to 8 p.m. Gene's ashes will be buried with his beloved wife June (who died in 1989) in Greenville, SC.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the:
94th Infantry Historical Society
c/o Harry Helms Secretary/Treasurer
609 Dogwood Drive
Downington, PA 19335-3907

From: "Alan Fox" <abfox@hvc.rr.com>
Subject: Robert R. Pierce (1923 - 2013)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013

Robert R. Pierce (1923 - 2013)

Endwell: "Pop Pop" 89, gave up the fight in the 12th round to be reunited with his beloved wife, Betty Jane, in the house of Our Lord on March 20, 2013. He was the son of the late John and Mary Pierce and was predeceased by his three sisters and one brother. He is survived by his three sons: John (Carol) Pierce, Jeff (Barb) Pierce and Rob Pierce, and, his 7 grandchildren, 2 greatgrandchildren, and several nieces and nephews and his close companion, Ruth Brown.

Robert was a WWII veteran of the 376th ARMY Infantry division under Lt. General George Patten, who was awarded the purple heart after being honorably discharged.

Robert was an avid wood worker and outdoorsmen. Whether it was gardening, hunting, or golfing, you could always find "Pop Pop" outback puttering around. Robert was a bubbly and happy soul who was loved by all and will be dearly missed but never forgotten.

Final resting place will be at Riverhurst Cemetery in Endwell, NY. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Lourdes Hospice, 4102 Vestal Rd, Vestal, NY 13850.

Alan Fox



AT-Anti-Tank CAN-Cannon ENG-Engineers FA-Field Artillery HQ-Headquarters
MED-Medical QM-Supply RCN-Recon SER-Service SIG-Communications